I am happy to announce that the journalistic organization you are consuming has been nominated for 13 Southern California Journalism Awards, as administered by the Greater Los Angeles Press Club. Covering work produced from San Diego to Santa Barbara (Reason is headquartered in Los Angeles) during the 2013 calendar year, the SCJAs recognized our efforts in the following categories:
* Best Website, News Organization: Reason.com.
* Best Feature Documentary: Paul Feine and Alex Manning, for America's Longest War.
* Best Cause/Advocacy Journalism: Zach Weissmueller, for "Anarchy In Detroit."
* Best Television Feature: Amanda Winkler, for "Riverside Cop Tricks Autistic Teen Into Buying Pot."
* Best Television Investigative: Paul Detrick, for "L.A. County Sheriffs Hassle Photographer, Trample Constitution, Get Lauded By Bosses," and Tracy Oppenheimer, for "Cop Fired for Speaking Out Against Ticket And Arrest Quotas."
* Best Magazine Feature/Commentary (under 1,000 words): Jacob Sullum, for "When Policing Becomes Harassment."
* Best Magazine Entertainment/Review/Criticism/Column: Matt Welch, for "When Jackie Robinson Fought Back: A New Movie Elevates The Trailblazing Ballplayer's Nonviolence Over His Furious Competitive Spirit."
* Best Online Political Column/Commentary: Scott Shackford, for "3 Reasons The 'Nothing To Hide' Crowd Should Be Worried About Government Surveillance," and J.D. Tucille, for "Why I'm Teaching My Son To Break The Law."
* Best Online Non-Political Column/Commentary: Baylen Linnekin, for "California Regulators Attempt To Kill Sriracha."
* Best Online Entertainment Commentary/Review: Nick Gillespie and Jim Epstein, for "3 Reasons All Kids Should Be FORCED To Watch South Park!"
* Best Online Sports News/Feature/Commentary: Matt Welch, for "The Inglory Of Jackie Robinson's Times."
Reason's 2013 journalism was also nominated for 12 awards earlier this year by the Western Publishing Association, which covers magazines in the western part of the United States. Those nominations yielded two first-place Maggie Awards, for:
* Best Regularly Featured Web, eNewsletter or Digital Edition Column: Nick Gillespie and Reason TV, for "3 Reasons Not To Go To War With Syria" and "3 Reasons All Kids Should Be FORCED To Watch South Park!"
Reason was nominated for 11 12 Southern California Journalism Awards last year, winning two.
Such recognition is due directly to your support of the Reason Foundation, the 501(c)3 nonprofit that publishes all of our journalism here, for which we offer our thanks. Donate even more money at this link! You can also subscribe to the print magazine, for less than $15 a year, and/or subscribe to just about any e-version of the mag you can imagine.