Reason Nominated for 12 Southern California Journalism Awards
I am happy to share the news that your favorite editorial collective dedicated to championing "Free Minds and Free Markets" has been nominated for 12 Southern California Journalism Awards, encompassing 2012 work produced by organizations and journalists in the fertile coastal plains between San Diego and Santa Barbara. (Reason, uniquely among national opinion magazines, is headquartered in Los Angeles.)
Here are the nominations:
* Best Website, Print News Organization: Reason.com.
* Best Group Weblog: Hit & Run.
* Best Magazine News/Investigative Article: Mike Riggs, for "Obama: Transparently Disappointing: The president has fallen far short of promises to establish 'an unprecedented level of openness in government'"; and Peter Suderman, for "Medicare Whac-A-Mole: Why health care price controls always fail."
* Best Magazine Personality Profile: Peter Suderman, for "Obama's Failed Narrative: Did the presidency ruin a good storyteller, or vice versa?"
* Best Magazine Entertainment Review/Criticism/Column: Chris Kjorness, for "Delta Dawn: How Sears Roebuck & Co., midwifed the birth of the blues"; and Thaddeus Russell, for "Controlling Guns, Controlling People: A new history shows how gun control goes hand in hand with fear of black people—and The People."
* Best Magazine Feature/Commentary Over 1,000 Words: Greg Beato, for "Better off Dead: The cheap, exciting afterlife of modern mortal remains."
* Best Online Non-Political Column/Commentary: Greg Beato, for "Welcome to the Golden Age of Fact-Checking: What the Jonah Lehrer debacle reveals about the state of journalism today."
* Best Online Entertainment Commentary/Review: Kurt Loder, for "The Great Lost Rolling Stones Documentary is Now a Museum Piece: The odd fate of rock's rawest footage."
* Best Online Political Column/Commentary: Meredith Bragg and Nick Gillespie, for "3 Reasons U.S Drone Policy is Really Freakin' Scary"; and Matt Welch, for "The Dark Side of Anti-'Swiss Bank Account' Politics: Democratic Swissophobia is hurting patriotic, middle-class Americans."
Reason's 2012 work was also nominated for 12 Western Publishing Association "Maggie" Awards this year, but we done got skunked in the finals. Here's a list of some of our previous SoCal Journalism Award nominations and victories, as administered by the Greater Los Angeles Press Club; click on the links for more great journalism from Reason's semi-recent history:
2011: 11 nominations, 1 victory.
2007: 11 and 3.
2006: 5 and 1.
Six Reason pitches:
1) Subscribe to the print magazine, for less than $15 a year!
2) Subscribe on your Kindle, iPad, Android, Nook, and other e-reader platforms!
3) Subscribe to one or all of our e-mail newsletters!
4) Download our various mobile apps!
5) Donate money to The Reason Foundation, the 501(c)(3) nonprofit that makes all this journalism possible!
6) Hey, it's never too late early to sign up for our February 2014 Reason Cruise!