Florida, Illinois Eliminate Commissions that Help Free Innocent, Investigate Police Torture
Spending $200,000 a year to study wrongful convictions in Florida is too much for Gov. Rick Scott's blood. He has eliminated funding for the two-year-old Florida Innocence Commission. Susan Clary encourages keeping the commission in a commentary for The Miami Herald:
The Florida Innocence Commission, with Orange/Osceola Chief Judge Belvin Perry, Jr. at the helm, was tasked with studying false eyewitness identifications, interrogation techniques, false confessions, the use of informants, the handling of forensic evidence, attorney competence and conduct, the processing of cases and the administration of the death penalty.
"We cannot ignore what must be done in order to improve our ever-evolving criminal justice system," Perry wrote in an interim report. "We must continue to be vigilant in seeking and maintaining the spirit of cooperation between the courts, law enforcement, and other agencies in identifying issues and implementing solutions."
Florida leads the nation with having the most prisoners released from death row – 23 since 1973 – after their innocence had been proven.
Radley Balko, former Reason editor and generally invaluable American justice system resource (and Southern California Journalism Award nominee!), makes quick work of whatever economic argument might have been used to justify this decision:
The average wrongful conviction costs taxpayers about $2 million. (I don't know of any national studies, but several state studies of the total cost of DNA exonerations in those states arrive at about $2 million.) That figure only covers the average costs of trying, imprisoning, exonerating, and compensating the person who was wrongly convicted. It doesn't include the costs associated with any additional crimes the real perpetrator may go on to commit, or the costs of resuming the investigation to find him, and then to arrest, try, and convict him.
So at minimum, if this commission's recommendations prevent a single wrongful conviction, the commission funds itself for 10 years.
Meanwhile in Illinois, why bother wasting $235,000 trying to determine the extent the Chicago police has used torture to extract confessions from people? Via the Chicago Tribune:
The Illinois Torture Inquiry and Relief Commission was approved by the Legislature and signed into law by Gov. Pat Quinn in the summer of 2009, a response to the long-standing scandal around former Chicago police Cmdr. Jon Burge and many of his subordinates, who were accused of torturing suspects to get confessions. After appointing a slate of commissioners and hiring a small staff, it launched investigations of its first cases in September.
Its budget last year: $150,000. Its proposed budget for the coming year, which called for adding a staff attorney: $235,000.
The state House and Senate, however, voted last week to strip the commission of its funding, meaning it will go out of business June 30, although the law that gave the commission its existence will remain on the books. The panel's eight voting members, led by a former judge and including a former public defender and former prosecutor as well as three non-attorneys, were unpaid, said David Thomas, the executive director.
Thomas said he is unsure why the funding was cut or how it happened. He simply got notice that the money would not be there.
The torture claims, which date back to the 1970s, resulted in Gov. George Ryan pardoning four prisoners on death row. Burge was convicted of federal charges of perjury and obstruction in 2010 and sentenced to 4 1/2 years.
CORRECTION: Balko reports that the Miami Herald's claim that Scott has defunded the innocence commission is factually incorrect. The commission was set to expire this year and did not request any more funding. He has corrected his Huffington Post piece (The Miami Herald has not corrected theirs).
Editor's Note: As of February 29, 2024, commenting privileges on reason.com posts are limited to Reason Plus subscribers. Past commenters are grandfathered in for a temporary period. Subscribe here to preserve your ability to comment. Your Reason Plus subscription also gives you an ad-free version of reason.com, along with full access to the digital edition and archives of Reason magazine. We request that comments be civil and on-topic. We do not moderate or assume any responsibility for comments, which are owned by the readers who post them. Comments do not represent the views of reason.com or Reason Foundation. We reserve the right to delete any comment and ban commenters for any reason at any time. Comments may only be edited within 5 minutes of posting. Report abuses.
Please
to post comments
Nut punched a day early.
Sneaky.
As pointed out on Balko's Facebook page, there's a causation problem with the argument: if the Commission hasn't done a damn thing to exonerate anyone, then it should be eliminated. I am sure that if the Commission could have reasonably taken credit for any of the 23 exonerations cited, it would have done so already.
Solution simple. Decommission this bullshit that looks like both a backdoor way of sneaking UN law into the US and using housing policy to bribe favored voting constituencies, and use the funds to keep the Innocence Commission going.
I'm getting a 404, so it looks to already be decommissioned.
This article kind of demonstrates the problem with the current Republican obsession spending as the one and only measure of government intrusiveness. Reducing spending is important, but in the big picture civil liberties abuses are a much more severe imposition on individual liberty than changing the tax rate a few percent.
Civil liberties abuses cost money, if only in terms of the salary drawn by the abuser. Starving the beast is the most effective way of forcing government to concentrate on its core business rather than whatever is the latest trend in government bloat.
Also notable in the IL case (from the article's lede): "On Tuesday, a state commission set up to investigate claims of police torture will refer its first cases to Cook County's chief judge...."
How on God's green earth did Illinois allow such a thing to exist in the first place? I hope the $150 thou they save is going directly into the CPD baton fund.
So that's what Rick Scott looks like? Reminds me of Skeletor.