The Los Angeles Press Club last night handed out its annual Southern California Journalism Awards, covering news organizations between San Diego and Santa Barbara. Reason, which had been nominated for 12, pulled down two 1st-place prizes. They were:
* Best Online Political Column/Commentary: Meredith Bragg and Nick Gillespie, for "3 Reasons U.S Drone Policy is Really Freakin' Scary." Re-live the fear now!
Sayeth the L.A. Press Club judges:
True to the name Reason, this piece avoids the emotional aspects of the growing debate over the United States' use of drones to target its enemies. Instead, it focuses on the practical arguments and in doing so Gillespie and Bragg present a case with broad appeal across the political spectrum. The piece is packed by documented research that breaks out of the echo chamber of right and left. It pulls the rug out from under the effectiveness, the legality and the future projects surrounding this new style of warfare. It is a stellar example of what an opinion piece ought to do -- compelling acceptance instead of attacking one side or another. Well "reasoned".
* Best Magazine News/Investigative Article: Peter Suderman, for "Medicare Whac-A-Mole: Why health care price controls always fail." From the judges:
A spellbinding piece of journalism that takes a deep dive into the subject matter and emerges with a fresh perspective on the issue that at the same time is both wide and deep.
Suderman also nabbed a 2nd place price for Best Magazine Personality Profile, with his "Obama's Failed Narrative: Did the presidency ruin a good storyteller, or vice versa?"
Reason grabbed three 3rd-place prizes as well:
* Best Website, Print News Organization
* Best Magazine Feature/Commentary Over 1,000 Words: Greg Beato, for "Better off Dead: The cheap, exciting afterlife of modern mortal remains."
* Best Magazine News/Investigative Article: Mike Riggs, for "Obama: Transparently Disappointing: The president has fallen far short of promises to establish 'an unprecedented level of openness in government.'"