Matt Welch, Katherine Mangu-Ward, Peter Suderman, and Nick Gillespie are all about the IRS budget increases, taxes, and surveillance you've been hearing about—all about getting rid of them, that is. Tune in for their takes on the latest headlines on this week's Reason Roundtable.
Discussed in the show:
2:22: The Biden administration, Elizabeth Warren, and Janet Yellen want to increase the IRS budget. Here's why they want to, and why they shouldn't.
13:22: The mechanisms of tax compliance.
31:08: Gag orders and third-party snooping.
43:10: Weekly Listener Question: I'm a freelance writer who can do my work anywhere, and I'm planning on moving in the next year. What's the most libertarian U.S. state?
48:55: Media recommendations for the week.
This weeks links:
- "Private Inequity: How a Powerful Industry Conquered the Tax System," by Jesse Drucker and Danny Hakim
- "Kiss Your Financial Privacy Goodbye," by Matt Welch
- "Elizabeth Warren's Plan To Close the 'Tax Gap' Doesn't Add Up," by Eric Boehm
- "ProPublica's Bombshell Tax Report That Wasn't," by Andrew Moylan and Andrew Wilford
- "Feds Seize CNN Reporter's Data, Then Gag CNN," by Matt Welch
- "Medicare Whac-A-Mole," by Peter Suderman
- "101 Cities Ranked on Just About Everything," by Radley Balko
- "Will Cities Survive 2020?" by Christian Britschgi
Send your questions to email@example.com. Be sure to include your social media handle and the correct pronunciation of your name.
- Stop using a fund that creates barriers to investing in the causes and freedoms you care about. DonorsTrust is the national donor-advised fund that shares and honors your values. DonorsTrust can help you roll over a preexisting account in three simple steps or help you get started with a new donor-advised account. See how with your free Donor Prospectus. Go to donorstrust.org/REASON.
- If you feel something interfering with your happiness or holding you back from your goals, BetterHelp is an accessible and affordable source for professional counseling. BetterHelp assesses your needs and matches you with a licensed therapist you can start talking to in under 24 hours, all online.
Audio production by Ian Keyser.
Assistant production by Regan Taylor.
Music: "Angeline," by The Brothers Steve.