On this weeks edition of The Reason Roundtable, Matt Welch, Katherine Mangu-Ward, Peter Suderman, and Nick Gillespie detail just how little the Biden administration's COVID-19 relief bill has to do with COVID-19. Plus, a little warning against government power plays and a little optimism for mask-free living in the near future.
Discussed in the show:
1:15: What exactly is in that $1.9 trillion in the American Rescue Plan?
9:35: What about that $15 federal minimum wage?
20:12: What are the standards for post-vaccinated behavior?
32:51: Weekly Listener Question: "At what point is this no longer an issue of private corporations acting as they please, and more of a de facto government restriction on speech? Have we already crossed that line?"
44:45: Media recommendations for the week.
This week's links:
- "Anthony Fauci Says Americans Might Still Need To Wear Masks in 2022," by Robby Soave
- "Biden's Coronavirus Relief Package Has Almost Nothing to Do With the Coronavirus," by Peter Suderman
- "Here's How We Could Double the Number of Americans Vaccinated Against COVID-19," by Ronald Bailey
- "CBO Says Raising Minimum Wage to $15 an Hour Would Kill Jobs, Because Obviously It Would," by Peter Suderman
- "Joe Biden Offers Bold Talk, Timid Action on Immigration," by David Bier
- If you ever wondered about events and ideas that shape your world, Politics Then and Now is the podcast that covers it. Politics Then and Now delves into everything that has sculpted American ideals from the Greco-Roman world to revolutions and the meaning of freedom. Politics Then and Now is available on all podcast platforms.
- If you feel something interfering with your happiness, or holding you back from your goals, BetterHelp is an accessible and affordable source for professional counseling. BetterHelp assesses your needs and matches you with a licensed therapist you can start talking to in under 24 hours, all online.
Audio production by Ian Keyser.
Assistant production by Regan Taylor.
Music: "Angeline," by The Brothers Steve.