Matt Welch, Katherine Mangu-Ward, Peter Suderman, and Nick Gillespie gather to discuss (and debate) takeaways from the Ottawa trucker protests, U.S. foreign policy, and the Olympics. All this and more on this Monday's Reason Roundtable.
Discussed in the show:
1:45: Protests in Ottawa, GoFundMe's response, and Joe Rogan.
32:50: Weekly listener question: While I very much agree that the U.S.
shouldn't be the world's police vis-à-vis random dictators doing evil
things to their citizens, I'm less convinced that we should withdraw from
all great power competition as many libertarians wish. If Jo had won in
2020, what would stop Xi from, say, declaring ownership of the South China
Sea and dominating or even invading Japan/Taiwan/Australia? How are we
better off if Putin can occupy Estonia and Poland because he feels like it?
47:54: Why the Olympics aren't doing as well this year.
52:39: Media recommendations for the week. (And click here for all of the Roundtable's media recommendations, ever.)
This week's links:
- "GoFundMe Rejects Fundraising for Canadian Freedom Convoy," by Elizabeth Nolan Brown. (If you want to receive this daily newsletter, Reason Roundup, in your inbox, subscribe here.)
- "Stephen Wertheim: 9/11, Afghanistan, and Failed Foreign Policy" (podcast)
- "Pelosi warns US Olympians not to speak out against Chinese abuses while in Beijing," by Jerry Dunleavy
- "Wikipedia and Beyond," by Katherine Mangu-Ward
- "UPDATED!: An Incomplete List of Why Nobody Really Gives a Shit About the Olympics Anymore," by Nick Gillespie
Send your questions to email@example.com. Be sure to include your social media handle and the correct pronunciation of your name.
- We all want to make sure our family is protected in a medical emergency. What many of us don't realize is that health insurance won't always cover the full amount of an emergency medical flight. Even with comprehensive coverage, you could get hit with high deductibles and co-pays. That's why an AirMedCare Network membership is so important. As a member, if an emergency arises, you won't see a bill for air medical transport when flown by an AMCN provider. Best of all, a membership covers your entire household for as little as $85 a year. Now, as a listener of our show, you'll get up to a $50 Visa or Amazon gift card when you become an AMCN member. Simply visit AirMedCareNetwork.com/reason and use the offer code REASON.
- If you feel something interfering with your happiness or holding you back from your goals, BetterHelp is an accessible and affordable source for professional counseling. BetterHelp assesses your needs and matches you with a licensed therapist you can start talking to in under 24 hours, all online.
Audio production by Ian Keyser
Assistant production by Regan Taylor
Music: "Angeline," by The Brothers Steve