Oakland Mass Killing Suspect Declared Mentally Unfit
Charged with killing seven students at small vocational school
An Alameda County Superior Court judge declared Monday that a former nursing student charged with killing seven people at Oakland's Oikos University last year is not mentally competent to stand trial.
One L. Goh, a 43-year-old South Korean national, has also been charged with three counts of attempted murder in the April rampage at the small Christian vocational school.
Goh's public defender had questioned his ability to understand the proceedings or assist in his own defense – the legal threshold of competence. Two psychiatrists who evaluated Goh determined that he is currently unfit to stand trial, and prosecutors did not take issue with those findings, said Deputy Dist. Atty. Teresa Drenick, a department spokeswoman.
Editor's Note: As of February 29, 2024, commenting privileges on reason.com posts are limited to Reason Plus subscribers. Past commenters are grandfathered in for a temporary period. Subscribe here to preserve your ability to comment. Your Reason Plus subscription also gives you an ad-free version of reason.com, along with full access to the digital edition and archives of Reason magazine. We request that comments be civil and on-topic. We do not moderate or assume any responsibility for comments, which are owned by the readers who post them. Comments do not represent the views of reason.com or Reason Foundation. We reserve the right to delete any comment and ban commenters for any reason at any time. Comments may only be edited within 5 minutes of posting. Report abuses.
Please
to post comments
Goh's public defender had questioned his ability to understand the proceedings or assist in his own defense ? the legal threshold of competence. Two psychiatrists who evaluated Goh determined that he is currently unfit to stand trial, and prosecutors did not take issue with those findings, said Deputy Dist. Atty. Teresa Drenick, a department spokeswoman.