A new Washington Poll finds the approval rating for President Trump at 42 percent—it also shows 43 percent of respondents saying they'd vote for Trump again and 40 percent saying they'd vote for Hillary Clinton, leading Trump to tweet that he'd "still" beat Clinton in the popular vote, which he lost.
- Officials at the White House are pressing Republicans in Congress to use the prospect of a government shutdown to secure funding for the border wall.
- Bernie Sanders says Ann Coulter has the right to speak at Berkeley "without fear of violence and intimidation."
- In France, Marine Le Pen and Emmanuel Macron head to the second round of presidential candidates, the first time neither of the two largest parties advance out of the first round.
- North Korea says it's ready to sink a U.S. aircraft carrier that's supposed to be headed to the area.
- An American monitor from the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe was killed in Ukraine after his vehicle struck a land mine.
- Five Somali soldiers were injured in a roadside blast in Mogadishu.