The police chief in Charlotte claims Keith Lamont Scott exited his car holding a gun, not a book as his family claimed, and that police could not find a book at the scene. The chief said it was "time for the voiceless majority to stand up and be heard." Scott, the police chief, and the officer who shot Scott are all black.
- A divided Federal Reserve announced it would not raise interest rates at the moment.
- A boat carrying 600 migrants capsized off the coast of Egypt.
- Authorities in Turkey say a knife attacker was shot and killed by police in front of the Israeli embassy in Ankara.
- Russia is deploying its only aircraft carrier to Syria.
- Observations using telescopes in Hawaii may have helped solve the mystery of the giant green space blob.
- Podcasts from Reason are now available on iTunes and Soundcloud.
"She's a favorite of the Russians and they have a bunch of sites and bots and other ways of supporting her so far."
The company says it will sell only tobacco, mint, and menthol pods unless and until the FDA officially approves other varieties.
Chicago Teachers Go on Strike to Demand Higher Pay, Smaller Class Sizes, New Schools, More Staff, and Affordable Housing
More than 300,000 students in Chicago were out of school on Friday as the teachers strike continued.