On the campaign trail, Chris Christie claimed President Obama didn't "support" police and that Black Lives Matter protesters called for the murder of police officers.
- John Kerry is in Israel trying to ease tensions; Palestinians have been stabbing Jews over the fear that Israel will permit non-Muslims to pray at the Temple Mount in Jerusalem.
- The United Auto Workers labor union and General Motors have tentatively agreed to a new four-year contract that would prevent a strike.
- A presidential and parliamentary election was held in Haiti, but it will take some time to count the votes.
- Comedian Jimmy Morales won the presidential election in Guatemala.
- A magnitude-7.5 earthquake in Afghanistan killed at least 40 people.
- NASA has detected Comet Lovejoy giving off up to 500 bottles of wine's worth of alcohol a second.
New at Reason.com:
- Brickbat: Pizza, Pizza By Charles Oliver
- Hillary Clinton and Gun Buybacks There's little chance of Australia's model coming to the states. By Steve Chapman
- Pot Pleasure, Pot Problems As prohibition collapses, marijuana users are less likely to abuse the drug. By Jacob Sullum
- Gun Control and Immigration Restrictions Are Enemies of Liberty The major political parties both push policies that endanger our most basic liberties. By Sheldon Richman
- Everybody Loves a Good Apocalypse Even as the world gets better and better, people continue to stubbornly believe the end is nigh. By Ronald Bailey
- Right-to-Farm Debate Heats Up Controversies over laws in all 50 states that protect the rights of farmers to actually farm. By Baylen Linnekin
- The Crucible, Now at a Campus Near You Play about literal witch hunts should resonate today. By Cathy Young
- Watching Porn in Cairo Men can study up or cool down, women can watch sexy talk shows. By Charles Paul Freund