At least nine people including a state senator were killed in a shooting at the Emanuel African Methodist Episcopalian Church in Charleston, South Carolina.
- The Treasury Department announced it would remove Alexander Hamilton from the $10 bill in 2020 and replace him with a woman.
- According to the United Nations there were nearly 60 million refugees around the world at the end of last year.
- Police in Cleveland, Mississippi are investigating the fatal shooting of a dog by an officer. The dog's owner says the city offered to pay his vet bills and buy him a new dog but he wants changes in police response policies.
- The investment bank Goldman Sachs told its interns to be out of the office by midnight and not to return until 7:00a.m.
- Brian Williams will be staying at NBC News but Lester Holt will take over as permanent anchor of the network's evening newscast.