Newsweek's Twitter account was hacked by supporters of Islamic State. They threatened President Obama's family and boasted "Je suIS IS" to make sure everybody got the message that they're assholes.
- Kayla Mueller has, indeed, died as Islamic State claimed, according to the U.S. government. (See item above.)*
- Pundits see the Alabama Republican Party's last-stand social conservatism as a bit of an albatross around the GOP's neck. And…we expected something else from Alabama?
- Meanwhile, Democrats are looking for anybody to offer an alternative to Hillary as the presidential race nears.
- With peace talks looming in Ukraine, the two sides have, of course, intensified fighting in order to improve their positions ahead of the negotiations.
- U.S. economic measures remain mixed, with more job openings, but weak wholesale inventories.
*Corrected from earlier version that said Islamic State did it. We don't actually know, though Islamic State attributes her death to an air strike.