The White House has issued eight veto threats so far this month, the most since President Reagan began the year 1985.
- Confirmation hearings for attorney general nominee Loretta Lynch begin today in the Senate.
- Boston and portions of New England received up to three feet of snow, but New York City and the tri-state area were spared despite extreme forecasts.
- New York State Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver (D) will step down from his post of 21 years as he faces federal corruption charges.
- The FBI says a bomb threat against an airplane departing Los Angeles is the fourth online threat against a passenger flight in the last week.
- State police in Michigan say they want permission to use drones for aerial surveillance of crash sites and other emergency situations.
- Astronomers say they've found rings 200 times the size of Saturn's around a planet orbiting the star J1407. Meanwhile, UFO hunters say a photo released by NASA shows the shadow of a man with an oxygen tank tinkering with the Mars Curiosity rover.