The U.S. is not prepared to ban flights from West Africa over Ebola but will institute additional passenger screening in the U.S. and West Africa.
- Sen. Bob Casey (D-Pa.) is the latest senator calling for a debate and a vote on authorizing the use of military force against ISIS, the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria. As ISIS tries to seize a Syrian town near the Turkish border, Turkey's foreign minister says NATO has a plan should ISIS attack the country.
- Democrats in the House of Representatives say they've been abandoned by labor and environmental groups ahead of the midterm elections.
- The Republican governor of Pennsylvania, Tom Corbett, who looks headed for defeat in November, wants a bill passed that would criminalize behavior by convicts found to cause their victims continued "mental anguish." The bill was introduced after Mumia Abu Jamal, convicted of killing a Philadelphia cop in 1981, gave a commencement address at a college in Vermont.
- The State Department says it's concerned by border skirmishes between Pakistan and India.
- The Mexican army has taken over security in Iguala after 43 students disappeared and a mass grave was found.