Iraq

Iraq: U.S. Embassy Evacuated, Marines Sent In, Manning Speaks Out

|

Creative Commons/Google

Iraq is in a state of bedlam as the military battles with an insurgent group called the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS). In response to the situation, the United States announced yesterday that it is partially evacuating the embassy in Baghdad and that a small contingent of troops is being deployed for protection. Also, whistle blower Chelsea/Bradley Manning, who is in prison for leaking the infamous Iraq War Logs, spoke out this weekend about troublesome activity the U.S. military allegedly conducted off the battlefield.

The New York Times reported yesterday that "the exact number of people being evacuated from Baghdad—the American government prefers to say they are being 'relocated'—was not disclosed. But the embassy will remain open, and most of its staff will remain, according to the State Department."

Nevertheless, "the [Baghdad] embassy," which is the largest embassy in the world and employs around 5,000 people, "remains open and will continue to engage daily with Iraqis and their elected leaders—supporting them as they strengthen Iraq's constitutional processes and defend themselves from imminent threats," department spokesperson Jen Psaki stated. She also noted that "additional U.S. government security personnel will be added to the staff in Baghdad."

The Army Times yesterday shed some light on what that would entail, writing that "a U.S. military official said about 100 Marines and Army soldiers have been sent to Baghdad to help with embassy security." Over the weekend, the Department of Defense ordered an aircraft carrier and a missile cruiser to the Persian Gulf.

U.S. government

ISIS today captured the town of Tal Afir, which has a population of around 200,000. Although previous estimates put the militia's manpower at 5,000-10,000, The Long War Journal suggests that because of "the scope of the operation, including the territory covered" there are actually "tens of thousands" of fighters.

Manning, who served in Iraq before leaking the war logs, claims in a New York Times op-ed that he once "received orders to investigate 15 individuals" who "had absolutely no ties to terrorism" but were printing information for voters that was critical of the U.S.-backed Maliki administration. Manning warns that "the current limits on press freedom and excessive government secrecy make it impossible for Americans to grasp fully what is happening in the wars we finance."

Read more Reason coverage of Iraq here

Advertisement

NEXT: Ralph Nader on Dave Brat: 'A Clear Populist Challenge by Main Street Against Wall Street'

Editor's Note: We invite comments and request that they be civil and on-topic. We do not moderate or assume any responsibility for comments, which are owned by the readers who post them. Comments do not represent the views of Reason.com or Reason Foundation. We reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason at any time. Report abuses.

  1. So “send in the Marines” is now SOP for concerns about Embasseys potentially under assault? Is this a “lesson learned” from Benghazi or something?

    1. Or was this uprising caused by the Iraqis finally seeing the movie “New Years Eve”?

      1. I am pretty sure it is in response to something mean David Brat said about Islam. Holder is working on locking that guy up as we speak.

        1. What difference at this point does it make?

    2. No in Benghazi The Muslim demanded the Ambassador because of all the Chants of Bin Laden is dead over and over by Obama and the rest of his Chicago Gangster Politics clowns

  2. Also – FIVE FUCKING THOUSAND PEOPLE work at that embassey? Tha FUCK??!

    Sounds like we got some kinetic diplomatic action goin’ on up in here…

  3. Also, does it seem ironic to anyone else that Manning “manned up” and “faced the music” and is in prison [unlike You Know Who]….given that she wants to be a woman?

    It seemed kind of ironic to me. “Man Up!” “I did – now make me beautiful!”

    1. Sexilitarism!!!!!!!!!!

  4. That the embassy that cost $750 million to build?

    1. That’s the one.

    2. Well, the plan back then was to annex the entire Middle East from there.

      You need a 30 building compound to run the Middle East from. Cheney did not fuck around.

      1. The fuck you on about, mudflaps? That shit doesn’t even make any sense.

        1. Give Mary Stack a break, she is suffering from a severe case of cognitive dissonance.

  5. Also, whistle blower Chelsea/Bradley Manning, who is in prison for leaking the infamous Iraq War Logs, spoke out this weekend about troublesome activity the U.S. military allegedly conducted off the battlefield.

    Tyler Cowen thinks you should be a little more tolerant, Zenon.

    http://marginalrevolution.com/…..-brat.html

    1. Wow, Lil’ Stevie Sailer really loves to ride his hobby-horse. In the comments section, he managed to convert, by sheer force of will (i.e., spamming the comments sections with post after post), calling-out someone for junior high locker room snickering about “faggots” into one of those shrill jeremiads those soi-disant “racial realists” are wont to engage in based on their continual self-perception of martyrdom.

  6. “We’re just restructuring our prioritized personnel categories. Nothing to see here.”

    1. DoS personnel first, Marines last.

  7. “will continue to engage daily with Iraqis and their elected leaders…”

    Will they never learn that ‘democracy’ does nothing to protect rights when 60% of the population wants to kill the other 40%?

    1. Will they never learn that ‘democracy’ does nothing to protect rights when 60% of the population wants to kill the other 40%?

      Fixed that for you.

  8. At least you (or the Times) referred to a man (no matter what name he now calls himself, which is his right to do) with the proper objective male pronoun (which he has no control over in reality). So there’s that.

  9. Remember Saigon…………..here we go again

  10. US marines are bigger criminals than militants! They will rape the women and kids like they do worldwide and kill for fun! The US military is full of criminals just look at the
    Theusmarinesrape cm website a druggie who admitted wanting to kill and actually did rape!

    Here’s Americas new marine
    Ww theusmarinesrape cm

    1. So truth resides in Cameroon? Hoodathunkit.

    2. You’re a fucking moron. Looking at your amateurish website, that’s like saying that all black people are rapists and criminals because someone’s friend said they got drunk and had sympathy sex with a black guy.

  11. Why did Barrack Hussein Obama release The leader of the Terrorist gang the ISIS !
    He was held in an Iraqi prison when Barrack Hussein Obama had him released 4 years ago!!! WHY WHY WHY I only need one answer. It’s a shame it wont be the truth!

    Why did Barrack Hussein Obama refuse to bomb the Terrorists ISIS when he had the Chance? WHY WHY WHY I only need one answer !! It’s a shame it wont be the truth!

    Why did Barrack Hussein Obama release 5 Taliban Terror Commanders a little over a year and a half before American and Nato forces leave Afghanistan?? WHY WHY WHY
    I only need one answer!!It’s a shame it wont be the truth!

    Why did Barrack Hussein Obama give the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt 1.5 Billion dollars They will say it went to the people of Egypt! Are you truly that stupid to believe?
    They were also given Tanks and Planes in 2012 this happened WHY WHY WHY
    I only need one answer!! It’s a shame it wont be the truth!

    Why did Barrack Hussein Obama allow the Muslim Brotherhood or groups representing them to visit the White House Hundreds of times even as he Kept the Children of America behind the fence no visits for the children of America! WHY WHY WHY
    I only need one answer!! It’s a shame it wont be the truth!

    To be continued this is the book of WHY
    This is written with the assistance of Dragon.

  12. Who gives a shit what that violent, traitorous little freak thinks?

Please to post comments

Comments are closed.