Violence

Alleged Navy Yard Shooter Showed 'Pattern of Misconduct'

Had been discharged from the military in 2011

|

WASHINGTON — The 34-year-old former Navy electrician's mate identified as the gunman who killed 12 people at the Washington Navy Yard had been discharged from the service in 2011 after multiple disciplinary infractions, a Navy officer said Monday.

Aaron Alexis "had a pattern of misconduct," the official said.

Law enforcement officials have identified Alexis as the shooter who conducted a two-hour rampage at the sprawling naval base in Washington, but have not yet said what they believe was his motive.

Alexis, a native of New York, who served in the Navy from 2007 to 2011 as an aviation electrician's mate 3rd class, entered the base early Monday morning, authorities said, perhaps using another man's identification card to pass through the gates.

Advertisement