US officials say it's likely President Obama will order limited cruise missile strikes on Syria in response to alleged chemical weapons use by the regime. The British military is also preparing a plan for military intervention in Syria. American lawmakers appear to feel being "consulted" about military action in Syria would be enough, while the British parliament is being recalled to debate what the response to the alleged chemical weapons use ought to be. Russia has warned of "catastrophic consequences" if there's a Western military intervention in Syria.
- Jack Lew told Congress the federal government will hit the debt ceiling, at about $16.7 trillion, by mid-October, sooner than previously expected, and told CNBC President Obama is not interested in negotiating about raising the debt limit.
- The IRS is apparently targeting the American Legion, requiring extra recordkeeping and certain personal information of members, and threatening branches that don't comply with $1,000 a day fined. Kansas Senator Jerry Moran believes the tactics are a brainchild of Lois Lerner.
- A Georgia judge ruled the use of police lights by cops makes a traffic stop involuntary after a police officer tried to argue to the contrary after busting someone for possessing marijuana that was apparently mostly stems and seeds.
- A pair of former Islamist militant groups in Egypt are looking to negotiate a truce between the Egyptian military and the Muslim Brotherhood –they want the military to stop cracking down on the Brothers and the Brothers to stop demonstrating in the streets.
- While there are only about 18,000 children doing it now, homeschooling is apparently catching on in China.
Reason's Annual Webathon is underway! Donate today to see your name here.
Reason is supported by:
No, but that's not stopping a litigious vegan from making his case.
This is why we can't have serious conversations about government spending.
Elizabeth Warren Would Rather Make You Fix Your Terrible Public School Than Let You Send Your Kid to a Charter School
"You don't like the building? You think it's old and decaying? Then get out there and push to get a new one," she said.