India

Ban on Coverage of Indian Gang Rape Trial Upheld

Judge says restraint on media is mandatory.

|

A petition which challenged the order for in camera hearing and a ban on media reporting of the December 16 gangrape case was dismissed on Wednesday by the district judge who said it was "mandatory" to hold in camera proceedings in a case of rape and related offences, and that the magistrate had been "duty bound" to pass such an order.

A revision petition had been filed on Tuesday before district judge R K Gauba challenging the order invoking Section 327 of the Code of Criminal Procedure by Metropolitan Magistrate Namrita Aggarwal.

The petitioners claimed that the day the accused were being produced, the Saket courtroom had a crowd because a large number of policemen were present there.