Barack Obama

Obama Claims Mandate from the Middle Class

Dream on, buddy


"I'm more than familiar with all the literature about presidential overreach in second terms. We are very cautious about that," President Obama told reporters Wednesday.

Still two months from the start of his second term, the president stressed again and again that he wants to work for the middle class, saying in his first full-scale news conference since the spring that his only mandate is to help them and stressing that the wealthy can easily pay more in taxes.

Mr. Obama said the American people sent him a message: "Work really hard to help us. Don't worry about the politics of it; don't worry about the party interests; don't worry about the special interests. Just work really hard to see if you can help us get ahead—because we're working really hard out here and we're still struggling, a lot of us."


NEXT: Russia: Assisting Syria Rebels Would Violate International Law

Editor's Note: We invite comments and request that they be civil and on-topic. We do not moderate or assume any responsibility for comments, which are owned by the readers who post them. Comments do not represent the views of or Reason Foundation. We reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason at any time. Report abuses.

  1. Mr. Obama said the American people sent him a message:

    Mr. Obama is full of Hershey bars, as usual. Only about 51 percent of the voting public might have sent him that message and the other 48 or 49 percent sent him a different one, which he probably will ignore. Not only that, but only about half the people who could vote bother to do so anyway – the half that did not sent him a different message, too.

  2. For some reason pairing Pelosi and eggs in the same sentence is seriously creepy *Shudder*

Please to post comments

Comments are closed.