Though there are several relevant categories that have yet to be announced, the L.A. Press Club has issued a preliminary list [PDF] of finalists for the Southern California Journalism Awards, and Reason is well represented:
* Journalist of the Year (under 50,000 circulation): Radley Balko. He's up against friend-of-Reason Amy Alkon, the Glendale News-Press' Dan Evans, and the L.A. Downtown News' Ryan Vaillancourt. The over-50,000 J of Y noms include former Reason intern and all-around good gal Mariel Garza of the L.A. Daily News.
* Best Magazine News/Investigative: Brian Doherty, for L.A.'s Pot Revolution: How Los Angeles became the "wild West" of medical marijuana – and lived to tell the tale; and Steven Greenhut for Class War: How public servants became our masters.
* Best Magazine Feature/Commentary: Damon Root, for Conservatives v. Libertarians: The debate over judicial activism divides former allies; and Peter Suderman, for The Gatekeeper: How a little bureaucratic office became the biggest impediment to Barack Obama's health care plans.
* Best Online Column/Commentary: Greg Beato, for Copy Fight: A new front opens in the battle over online copyright infringement
* Best Online Sports News/Feature/Commentary, Daniel Wattenberg, for The Persecution of Gilbert Arenas: How gun prohibitionists and an image-conscious NBA scapegoated a basketball star.
You know, you can subscribe to this magazine on a handful of different platforms, all for a low low cost. Support and consume good journalism today!