President Trumpbacked a proposal by congressional Democrats to hike the debt limit for three months' worth of spending.
- Trump says miltary action isn't his "first choice" on North Korea, while Dennis Rodman offered to "straighten things out" between Trump and Kim Jong-Un.
- The bribery trial of Sen. Robert Menendez (D-N.J.) opened today.
- Hurricane Irma is in the Caribbean and headed for Puerto Rico.
- Seattle Seahawks defensive end Michael Bennett says police in Las Vegas pointed a gun at him and used excessive force, and that he is considering a lawsuit.
- A candidate for mayor in Charlotte included "white" as one of her qualifications, apologizing after being rebuked by the local Republican Party.
- Police in Atlanta shot and killed a roaming tiger.
Start your day with Reason. Get a daily brief of the most important stories and trends every weekday morning when you subscribe to Reason Roundup.