The United States will experience the first total solar eclipse over the country in nearly 40 years.
- President Trump will address the nation on the war in Afghanistan tonight; he is expected to announce a troop surge.
- Mudslides in Sierra Leone have killed almost 500 people.
- North Korea threatened a "second Korean war" over planned U.S.-South Korea computer simulation war games.
- Ten sailors are missing after the U.S.S. John S. McCain collided with a merchant vessel off the coast of Singapore.
- Police in Barcelona are still looking for the alleged driver behind last week's van attack.
- Comedians Dick Gregory and Jerry Lewis died over the weekend.