After admitting Thursday that he had questioned James Comey about Russia during a private White House dinner and that he would have fired him regardless of what advisors said, President Trump threatened this morning to blackmail the former FBI director if Comey leaks information to the press. Comey "better hope that there are no 'tapes' of our conversations before he starts leaking to the press!" Trump tweeted Friday morning.
- Trump also explained that White House press secretaries shouldn't be expected to speak "with perfect accuracy" because he was a very busy man and suggested canceling all future press briefings in favor of a daily written report.
this is like one of those cop shows where they trick a guy into confessing except the guy is so dumb they don't really need to do anything https://t.co/1wMUhVGRKi
— John Tabin (@johntabin) May 11, 2017
- Attorney General Jeff Sessions has announced the reversal of an Obama-era policy designed to help low-level and non-violent drug offenders avoid being subject to federal mandatory-minimum sentences.
- Republicans in Congress have been offering "a series of flat misstatements and contradictions about what is in the" American Health Care Act, writes Dave Weigel at The Washington Post.
- "Attention, liberals: Comey deserved to be fired and the Constitution is just fine," says…. Vox? Yep. Writer Richard Epstein condemns "the hyperventilation in Washington."
- The New York Times Magazine tackles open marriage and polyamory circa 2017.