A grand jury has declined to indict the police officer who shot and killed Tamir Rice, 12, who was carrying a pellet gun in a park in Cleveland, Ohio. A prosecutor called it a "perfect storm of human error." Yes, that was the prosecutor, not the officer's attorney.
- A computer security researcher found a database of personal information about 190 million U.S. voters exposed and open on the Internet.
- A police officer in Puerto Rico is in custody after taking three other officers hostage and fatally shooting them.
- Meadowlark Lemon, famed member of the Harlem Globetrotters, has died at age 83.
- Canada is expecting to resettle 25,000 Syrian refugees by the end of February.
- Apparently Justin Bieber's label has decided the best way to publicize his new album in San Francisco is via spray-painted graffiti. The city is not happy, probably because it's yet another target for people to piss on.
New at Reason.com:
- Why Ground Troops Won't Work Against ISIS
Sometimes even when there is a will there is no way.
By Shikha Dalmia
- Predictions for 2016
Test your pre-cog skills with this pop quiz about the year ahead.
By Ira Stoll