"The man killed by police on Thursday after he fatally shot nine people at a community college in southern Oregon was a nervy 26-year-old who lived close to the campus and described himself as shy, according to neighbors, media and online reports."
- Donald Trump says he will leave the 2016 presidential race "if I tank" in the polls.
- According to a Vatican spokesman, the Pope's meeting with anti-gay marriage Kentucky clerk Kim Davis "should not be considered a form of support of her position in all of its particular and complex aspects."
- Russia continues to launch air raids in Syria.
- Hillary Clinton will appear on Saturday Night Live this weekend.
- Hurricane Joaquin now appears unlikely to make landfall on the U.S. mainland.
New at Reason
- Brickbat: Cool, Cool Kitty By Charles Oliver
- The GOP's Nativist Summer How the Republican Party lost its marbles over immigration. By Matt Welch
- The GOP Is Overmatched Pathetic showing at Planned Parenthood hearing By David Harsanyi
- Movie Reviews: The Martian and The Walk Matt Damon conquers space, Joseph Gordon-Levitt gets high. By Kurt Loder