By a vote of 277-151, the House of Representatives passed a spending measure to fund the government through December 11 without cuts to Planned Parenthood sought by conservatives.
- The Hillary Clinton campaign is starting to fear a Joe Biden run.
- Oklahoma Governor Mary Fallin (R) postponed the execution of Richard Glossip over concerns the wrong chemical had been prepared for the lethal injection.
- Shortly after his promotion during a leadership shake-up, an assistant director at the Secret Service urged the agency to release confidential information about a Congressional critic, Rep. Jason Chaffetz (R-Utah), once applying to, and being rejected from, the Seceet Service.
- Hurricane Joaquin is currently over the Bahamas and is expected to hit the U.S. over the weekend.
- A California man used a raccoon to get past the breathalyzer test installed in his car. The raccoon attacked the driver, who crashed into a tree. (Did not happen, sorry!)
New at Reason.com:
- Brickbat: Waiting for Lefty by Charles Oliver
- Candidates AWOL on Plans to Cut Spending Lowering taxes is only the first step, Mr. Trump. by Veronique de Rugy
- We Need to Stop Acting as Means to Politicians' Imperial Ends The ruling elite's machinations bear no relationship to the general interest of Americans. Think what the American empire would be if we refused to cooperate. by Sheldon Richman
- Putin Is in Syria: So What? America has nothing to lose (or prove) in Russia's meddling. by Steve Chapman