Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy will seek to succeed John Boehner as speaker of the House of Representatives.
- Rand Paul is taking a break from his presidential campaign to do some fundraising for his Senate reelection campaign.
- "Liberal feminists ponder friends, foes and Carly Fiorina."
- According to a new poll, Joe Biden would become the presidential frontrunner if he entered the race today.
- U.S. forces have launched airstrikes on the Afghan city of Kunduz as part of a campaign to retake the city from the Taliban.
- Today is National Coffee Day.
New at Reason:
- Brickbat: This Will Be Our Little Secret By Charles Oliver
- Why Bernie Sanders Is Wrong About Private Prisons Closing private correctional facilities would make life worse for prisoners and taxpayers. By Leonard Gilroy and Adrian Moore
- In the UK, Like America, Cash is King—of the Growing Shadow Economy In an age of digital transactions, demand for British banknotes and coins continues to grow to satisfy off-the-books work. By J.D. Tuccille