The latest Republican presidential polling shows Carly Fiorina reaching second place, just behind Donald Trump.
- A pastor in Selma and his congregation were able to subdue a gunman allegedly trying to kill his girlfriend and infant son.
- U.S. soldiers in Afghanistan were reportedly ordered to ignore child sex abuse perpetrated by local security forces.
- Pope Francis met with Fidel Castro while visiting Cuba. In a speech, the pontiff warned of the dangers of ideology and selfishness.
- Iran says it has submitted samples to the United Nations Iranian inspectors collected from a military site in Parchin alleged to be the location of nuclear weapons research.
- Ministers from a number of Eastern European EU members met in Prague to talk about their opposition to migrant quotas and other immigration polciies on the agenda for the EU summit that starts Wednesday.
- HBO's Game of Thrones set a record at last night's Emmy's in Los Angeles, surpassing the awards total for a single year previously set by West Wing.
New at Reason.com:
Brickbat: Baby Face By Charles Oliver
Marijuana Legalization: Disaster or Catastrophe? Drug warriors are desperate to show that repealing pot prohibition in Colorado was a terrible mistake. By Jacob Sullum
'Je Suis Charlie' Now? Of Course To those of us who have a genuine commitment to freedom of speech, it's not only nice stuff that should be publishable. By Brendan O'Neill
Fiorina's False Pitch She's a great seller, but her actual plans aren't up to snuff. By Steve Chapman
The Return of Roger Fuckebythenavele Oldest use of the word fucke sexually in writing pushed back 150 years ago. By Charles Paul Freund
Pope is a "communist and a Marxist" who has "assaulted matrimony" in a "rejection of his papal role," says leading Catholic libertarian.
By Matt Welch and Anthony L. Fisher