The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission says sexual orientation is already covered under rules banning biased hiring based on sex. "Allegations of discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation necessarily state a claim of discrimination on the basis of sex," the commission stated.
- A cell phone video shot by an anonymous bystander purportedly shows Texas police arresting Sandra Bland, the 28-year-old woman later found hanged in her Waller County jail cell; family and friends are disputing that her death was a suicide. The FBI today announced that it would be joining the investigation into circumstances surrounding her death.
- Chris Christie jumps on the criminal justice reform bandwagon.
- Muhammad Youssef Abdulazeez of Hixson, Tennessee, was identified as the gunman at a Chattanooga Naval reserve center yesterday. "Investigators are trying to figure out why a 24-year-old Kuwait-born man, who by accounts lived a typical life in suburban America, attacked two military facilities in a shooting rampage that killed four Marines," The New York Times reports.
- Planned Parenthood President Cecile Richards released a video statement yesterday saying that "the allegation that Planned Parenthood profits in any way from tissue donation is not true" but also apologizing that the "tone and statements" of Deborah Nucatola, did not reflect "compassion." Republicans are taking advantage of the Planned Parenthood fetal organ hoopla to push for the organization's defunding.
- The D.C. State Fair this year will feature a marijuana-growing competition.
- Prime Day, the much-mocked sales holiday Amazon.com launched yesterday to celebrate its 20th anniversary, turned out to be a big success, pushing more sales than "the biggest Black Friday ever" and hundreds of thousands of new Amazon Prime memberships.
- Check your frozen chicken.
Newly published at Reason.com:
- Brickbat: Close Enough for Police Work
- Movie Reviews: Trainwreck and Ant-Man: Amy Schumer kills it in her big-screen debut. Paul Rudd stands small in an uneven Marvel super-movie. By Kurt Loder
- California Legislators Want to Pass a Law That Requires Less Oil, More Clean Energy Use: Could drive up costs of driving, manufacturing. By Steven Greenhut
- James Holmes Found Guilty on All Counts for 2012 Shooting Spree: Man who opened fire in crowded theater fails with insanity-plea defense.
- Gawker Helps Gay Escort Blackmail Timothy Geithner's Brother: Ted Cruz is the hero of the story.