A gunman has killed four people in Chattanooga, Tennessee, at a Naval reserve center and a military recruiting office. The gunman has also been killed. Some sources are identifying the shooter as Muhammad Youssef Abdulzeez.
- President Barack Obama became a first sitting president to visit a federal prison today to talk about criminal justice reform and to encourage us to maybe not incarcerate so many people for so long.
- The Texas Court of Criminal Appeals has halted the planned execution of Clifton Lamar Williams to handle questions about testimony at his trial for killing a 93-year-old woman during a home robbery a decade ago.
- Greece is now being offered the possibility of some emergency financial aid now that its leaders have relented and voted for belt-tightening measures.
- Dylann Roof's trial for killing nine people at a black church in Charleston, South Carolina, has been scheduled for a year from now. A gag order prohibiting the police from releasing 911 calls and images from the crime scene to the press has been extended for at least another week.
- The Federal Aviation Administration is probing reports of lasers being shined into the cockpits of at least 11 commercial planes flying over New Jersey Wednesday night.
Newly published at Reason.com:
Denis Leary Has Aging Rockers in His Sights in New FX Comedy. New series premieres tonight. Review by Glenn Garvin
Video: Gary Johnson on Trump, the Presidential Election, and Life as a Pot Company CEO. Johnson says he wants nothing to do with the GOP. By Nick Gillespie & Meredith Bragg