Prime Minister David Cameron and his Conservative Party have achieved a massive victory in the British general election.
- President Barack Obama will visit Nike headquarters in Oregon today to make the case for the Trans Pacific Partnership free trade agreement.
- Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) praised yesterday's federal court ruling which found NSA gathering of American telephone metadata to be illegal under federal law. "We are anticipating and eager for this to get to the Supreme Court," Paul said.
- "The FBI warned police in Garland, Texas, about three hours before a shooting at a weekend exhibit of caricatures of the Prophet Mohammad that one of the gunmen who launched the failed attack was interested in the event, FBI Director James Comey said on Thursday."
- The discovery of racist text messages exchanged by San Francisco police officers has resulted in a massive review of more than 3,000 arrests made by the SFPD. A panel of retired judges will examine the propriety of those arrests and determine if they led to wrongful convictions.
- Today marks the 70th anniversary of the defeat of the Nazis in World War II.