New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio met privately on Tuesday with police union leader Patrick Lynch, but the mayor and the NYPD apparently failed to patch up their differences. According to one report, "no apology was issued from either side."
- The United States has released five detainees from Guantanamo and transferred the men to Kazakhstan.
- An earthquake with a magnitude of 3.9 has struck the Los Angeles area.
- Liberia will suspend its Ebola curfew for one night in order to allow for New Year's Eve church services.
- Stormy weather has forced a temporary halt to the search for bodies and debris from downed Air Asia flight QZ8501.
- 2014 in review: "Barack Obama had a really terrible year."