Eric Garner's strangling by a New York City cop will be the subject of a civil rights investigation by the U.S. Department of Justice.
- Dismay at the grand jury's failure to indict Officer Daniel Pantaleo for killing Garner unites Americans across political divisions. At least we can agree on something.
- Republican Senators Jeff Sessions of Alabama and Mike Enzi of Wyoming are battling over who gets to head the Senate Budget Committee. (Two will enter, one will leave!)
- Nathaniel Branden, the successful populizer of Ayn Rand's Objectivist philosophy even after she broke with him, died yesterday at 84.
- Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) took Barack Obama at his once-upon-a-time word and introduced a resolution to declare war against ISIS to make things all constitutional. The president may not appreciate the gesture.
- Energy development across parts of the West is on hold for fear it might harm the…greater sage grouse? Really? Apparently, that's a bird.
- The European Central Bank's decision to hold off for now on further "stimulus" has renewed faith in the euro. A little.
- Problems plaguing the new Orion space capsule have delayed its launch by at least a day.
Reason is your voice in debates about politics, culture, and ideas. Our annual Webathon is underway and your tax-deductible gift will help us fight against big government, crony capitalism, the drug war, and so much more. For details on giving levels and swag, go here now.