A health care worker in Dallas became infected with Ebola after providing care to Thomas Eric Duncan. The Centers for Disease Control blamed the infection on a "breach in protocol."
- ISIS has claimed responsibility for a triple suicide bombing last week in northern Iraq that killed at least 58 people.
- French economist Jean Tirole has won the Nobel Prize in economics.
- Hundreds clashed in Hong Kong after crowds armed with crowbars and cutting tools attempted to dismantle the barricades erected by pro-democracy protesters.
- A federal judge struck down Alaska's ban on gay marriage last night.
- "According to Edward Snowden, people who care about their privacy should stay away from popular consumer Internet services like Dropbox, Facebook, and Google."