With a peek at events in Ferguson, journalists in the established press discover that modern cops have a lot of stuff that goes BOOM! and like to use it.
- Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) says the "scenes we continue to see in Ferguson resemble war more than traditional police action," while President Obama makes soothing noises.
- The siege of Mount Sinjar has been broken, says President Obama. Now we have the rest of the country to save.
- Rep. Hank Johnson (D-Ga.) wants to stop the free transfer of military equipment to police forces.
- Woodstock was 45 years ago this weekend. Get over it, Baby Boomers.
- The Internal Revenue Service was pretty free with taxpayer data, handing it to contractors without checking them out first, says Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration.
- Europe's economy stalled in the last quarter. Again.
- Berlin bans Uber. That sort of thing can't have any effect on the lousy local economic situation, can it?