A few days after defending his aggressive use of executive power, President Obama showed he means it by authorizing humanitarian aid to Iraq and targeted airstrikes of ISIL militants there "if necessary." Apparently the Pentagon thought they were: U.S. military planes carried out airstrikes in northern Iraq Friday morning.
- The World Health Organization has declared the ebola outbreak that started in West Africa an "international public health emergency."
- A 72-hour cease-fire in Gaza ended in a blast of Hamas rocket fire Friday morning. Israel, naturally, responded with more airstrikes. Back to business as usual, folks.
- Speaking of perseverance: the anti-tobacco people will literally. never. stop. This time they're after premium cigars.
- Marijuana farmers markets are "budding" on the West Coast (pun courtesy of USA Today).
- Mom calls cops on son for watching porn; cops resist finding a way to charge him.
- Lyft and Uber are both launching carpooling services—will they threaten public buses?