David Brat, the economics professor who squished second-ranking House Republican Rep. Eric Cantor in the primaries, is a free market guy who digs Ayn Rand and doesn't like the snoopy NSA. Yeah, he's a border warrior, but that's a pretty good start.
- Like Brat, his Democratic opponent, Jack Trammell, is a professor at Randolph-Macon College. Unlike Brat, Trammell is writing a vampire novel.
- Having had his clock cleaned, Cantor will step down as House majority leader.
- The Veterans Administration earned itself a full-fledged criminal investigation by the FBI. Whoops.
- In two days, the Iraqi government lost control of Mosul, Iraq's second-largest city, and then Tikrit, to Islamic militants.
- Thousands of unaccompanied minors fleeing violence in El Salvador and Guatemala are turning up at the U.S. border, seekig refuge. They're ending up crowded into holding facilities.
- The weapons used by Jared Michael Padgett to kill a classmate at an Oregon high school had been locked up at his home, "but he defeated the security measures," according to the local police chief.