"Are You an 'Electronic Child Molester?': 10 Dumb Quotes About Video Games From Pols And Pundits," produced by Nick Gillespie and Meredith Bragg. About 80 seconds.
Original release date was Mary 7, 2014 and the original write-up is below:
Plato famously banned poetry from his Republic.
Well, he had nothing on today's politicians and pundits, who really, really, really hate video games. Here are 10 great quotes that bring the stupid like Grand Theft Auto brings the awesome.
- If you're a parent and you allow your son or daughter to watch this…you're a lousy parent."—MSNBC host Ed Schultz, talking about Grand Theft Auto V, September 13, 2013.
- "Grand Theft Auto…encourages [children] to have sex with prostitutes and then murder them."—Sen. Hillary Clinton (D-N.Y.), July 14, 2005.
- "Every school massacre can be traced to the young killers' addiction to violent video games."—conservative activist Phyllis Schlafly, September 10, 2010.
- "These games teach a child to enjoy inflicting torture."—Sen. Joe Lieberman (D-Conn.), December 9, 1993.
- "And let us say to the Nintendos and the other games, if you are going to be sick, we are going to find a way to protect this country from you."—former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich, May 12, 1999.
- "These electronic child molesters have little sense of restraint or boundaries."—Ralph Nader, October 27, 1999.
- "[Some games] are more akin to hate speech than free speech."—Rep. Cliff Stearns (R-Fla.), June 14, 2006.
- "Video game violence & glorification must be stopped—it is creating monsters!"—Donald Trump, December 17, 2012.
- "This is all about [gamers'] lust for violence and the industry's lust for money."—state Sen. Leland Yee (D-Calif.), January 26, 2013.
- "I think videos games is [sic] a bigger problems than guns because video games affect people."—Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-Tenn.), January 30, 2013.