Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) and Sen. Patty Murry (D-Wash.) showed some bipartisanship in crafting a mini-deal to avert another government shutdown. And yet, a recent poll shows that the majority of Americans expect political gridlock to persist or get worse next year.
- The U.S. economy grew faster than expected in the third quarter of 2013, according to a Commerce Department report.
- Saying that defense officials have not answered his concerns, an independent auditor is reopening a probe into an unused $34 million military facility the Pentagon built in Afghanistan.
- Rep. Justin Amash (R-Mich.) made a surprise appearance at a libertarian fundraising event in Washington, DC, prompting donations to snowball. What if the same were to happen for Reason's own webathon?
- France says its U.N.-backed military operation is underway in the Central African Republic, the day after some of the worst violence in the latest crisis.
- Widespread looting took place in Córdoba, Argentina after police went on strike for 24 hours. Cue the "libertarian paradise" strawmen.
Get Reason.com and Reason 24/7 content widgets for your websites.