The United States closed two dozen embassies over the weekend in North Africa and the Mideast. Sen. Saxby Chambliss says it's the most serious terrorist threat they've seen in the past few years. He compared the chatter with the planning for Sept. 11, so it's a good thing nobody has politically abused that terrorist attack for political gain, thus rendering the invocation meaningless, am I right?
- The closures have also been extended for a week for most of them.
- Of course the information the National Security Agency gathers won't stay at the NSA if other federal agencies have their way. But this was about fighting terrorism, guys!
- Reports of al Qaeda's demise may have been greatly exaggerated.
- Zimbabwe President Robert Mugabe won re-election with 61 percent of the vote.
- The US has gotten involved with mediation efforts in Egypt, sending an envoy to meet with a jailed Muslim Brotherhood leader.
Get Reason.com and Reason 24/7 content widgets for your websites.