The Pentagon won't be providing a "zero option" for US troop levels in Afghanistan after 2014 even as the White House insists complete withdrawal hasn't been ruled out. The UN says civilian casualties were up by a quarter in the first six months of the year.
- The Senate Judiciary Committee will hear from top men involved in the government's domestic surveillance operations as it considers whether it should limit them in some way.
- Republican donors and business groups sent two separate letters to House Republicans urging support for immigration reform.
- Reported misconduct at the TSA is up 26 percent over the last three years, according to the government.
- Anthony Weiner's communication specialist apologized for calling a former intern who wrote about her in the Daily News a slutbag, a twat, and a cunt. She thought she was off-the-record.
- The San Diego city council voted to sue its mayor, who faces several sexual harassment allegations and another lawsuit, and to prevent city money from going to his legal defense fund.
- The emir of Kuwait has pardoned everyone jailed for insulting him.
Cops laugh about “probable cause on four legs” but the damage to innocent lives is real.
The FBI Seized Heirlooms, Coins, and Cash From Hundreds of Safe Deposit Boxes in Beverly Hills, Despite Knowing 'Some' Belonged to 'Honest Citizens'
Victims of the FBI's constitutionally dubious raid say they've been told to come forward and identify themselves if they want their stuff back.
The CDC Director Misrepresented the Study She Cited To Justify Her Misleading Estimate of Outdoor COVID-19 Risk
Rochelle Walensky's gloss is puzzling in light of the evidence presented in the systematic review on which she relied.