Verizon has been ordered by the federal government to turn over records of all phone calls passing through its system, according to a leaked top secret court order. There's no reason to think other telecoms aren't subject to the same requirements. Hey, is it creepy, yet?
- The CIA had no idea who it was drone-killing in about one out of every four cases in Pakistan, according to intelligence reports. Well … maybe it had their phone records.
- New York State may may make it a felony to "harass, annoy, threaten or alarm" police officers. Wait a minute … Damn it. Did I wake up in North Korea?
- In news of the weird, a federal court ruled that the two-pill version of the morning-after pill should be available over the counter, but the easier to use Plan B One-Step will remain restricted while the government appeals plans to ease access.
- Army Staff Sgt. Robert Bales entered a guilty plea to the slaying of 16 Afghan civilians in 2012. He faces life in prison for the crime, for which he admits, "There's not a good reason in this world for why I did the horrible things I did."
- Two IRS officials were placed on leave amidst the fallout over a really, really expensive conference which blew through taxpayer money. They were, undoubtedly, rogues.
- The International Monetary Fund admits it kinda screwed up the bailout of Greece in 2010, You don't say.
Get Reason.com and Reason 24/7 content widgets for your websites.