Concern Over Security in Eastern DRC Growing
M23 rebels continue to pose a threat to stability
LONDON, May 24 (UPI) -- The work of a U.N. intervention brigade in DRC may encourage stability though there are growing concerns about renewed fighting, a British minister said.
British Foreign Office Minister for Africa Mark Simmonds said he supported the work of a special unit within the U.N. peacekeeping mission in the Democratic Republic of Congo that has a mandate for offensive operations.
The rebel March 23 Movement mutinied last year, accusing the DRC government of failing to uphold a peace agreement that saw the integration of some rebels into the national military. Simmonds said all parties to the re-emerging conflict should respect the laws of war.
Hide Comments (0)
Editor's Note: As of February 29, 2024, commenting privileges on reason.com posts are limited to Reason Plus subscribers. Past commenters are grandfathered in for a temporary period. Subscribe here to preserve your ability to comment. Your Reason Plus subscription also gives you an ad-free version of reason.com, along with full access to the digital edition and archives of Reason magazine. We request that comments be civil and on-topic. We do not moderate or assume any responsibility for comments, which are owned by the readers who post them. Comments do not represent the views of reason.com or Reason Foundation. We reserve the right to delete any comment and ban commenters for any reason at any time. Comments may only be edited within 5 minutes of posting. Report abuses.
Please
to post commentsMute this user?
Ban this user?
Un-ban this user?
Nuke this user?
Un-nuke this user?
Flag this comment?
Un-flag this comment?