- New Orleans levees may finally soon be completed . . . but may still be inadequate.
- Obama may propose new fees to shore up Freddie, Fannie.
- John McCain expected to hold off J.D. Hayworth in Arizona primary today.
- Judge blocks federal funding of embryonic stem cell research.
- Billions in foreign aid to Pakistan doing little to improve U.S. image there.
"You have a situation where a person owed $8 and lost their house. I mean, how is that equitable?" asked Michigan Supreme Court Justice Richard Bernstein.
A Michigan Man Underpaid His Property Taxes By $8.41. The County Seized His Property, Sold It—and Kept the Profits.
A state law allows counties to effectively steal homes over unpaid taxes and keep the excess revenue for their own budgets.
Do you feel safer now?
The Eighth Amendment prohibition against excessive fines and fees applies to states as well, SCOTUS rules, opening a new way to challenge outlandish forfeitures.
Rodney Reed is set to die by lethal injection in less than two weeks.