Reason.tv Replay: Arthur C. Brooks on the Battle Between Free Enterprise and Big Government

|

America faces a new culture war; a war between free enterprise and big government.

American Enterprise Institute President Arthur C. Brooks argues in his new book, The Battle: How the Fight between Free Enterprise and Big Government Will Shape America's Future, that "most Americans don't see free enterprise as just an economic matter, they see it as kind of a lifestyle issue, they see it as the bedrock of American culture and that's about 70 percent of the population."

Brooks sat down with Reason.tv Editor in Chief Nick Gillespie to discuss the best way for free enterprise proponents to "stop losing arguments," as well as Brooks' career as a professional French horn player, and his love for Bach and Anton Bruckner.

Approximately 5 minutes.  Shot by Meredith Bragg, Josh Swain and Dan Hayes. Edited by Swain.

This version is an abridged. For the full length, wide ranging interview please click here. (Approximately 51 minutes.) 

Go to Reason.tv for downloadable iPod, HD, and audio versions of this and all our videos, and subscribe to Reason.tv's YouTube channel to receive automatic notification when new material goes live. 

NEXT: Schwarzenegger Blocks the Latest Shot in the War On Farmers

Editor's Note: We invite comments and request that they be civil and on-topic. We do not moderate or assume any responsibility for comments, which are owned by the readers who post them. Comments do not represent the views of Reason.com or Reason Foundation. We reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason at any time. Report abuses.

  1. I think couching it as getting the 70% to persuade the other 30% to change its mind is better phrasing than getting them to “stop losing arguments”.

    Hopefully this guy’s book, The Battle, is easier to understand than the last one of his I read. I didn’t understand the ending of 2001: A Space Odyssey at all.

    1. I like couching it as getting the 70% to start calling out the 30% for being weak, groveling, envious hypocrites.

      I like how he mentions young people, though. No need to convert them. Life will do that all on its own. The only reason so many young people don’t like capitalism is because they’re too young to care about their money. All they care about is sex, and I don’t see a whole lot of them preaching “to each according to his need” when it comes to fucking fat girls with yellow teeth.

  2. I’d much rather watch Albert Brooks struggle fruitlessly against fate.

  3. This is a new war?

  4. It’s not fair that 30 percent of the people define fairness for 70 percent of the people.

    Fascinating touch: A French Hornist!

    But when I yearn for Bruckner, I listen to Einojuhani Rautavaara.

  5. Oh wow, I never would have guessed dude. Wow.

    Lou
    http://www.anonymous-surfing.es.tc

  6. Seems like its gonna be a big battle.

    Lou
    http://www.anonymous-surfing.es.tc

Please to post comments

Comments are closed.