• J.G. Ballard, RIP.
• The U.S. threatens war with Eritrea.
• A record fine for the Rev. Al Sharpton.
• Two more banks close down.
• Three visits from George Orwell.
• A history of abuses at the Florida School for Boys.
• Modern trends in the therapeutic state.
• A farewell to dying newspapers—in 1918.
• And from Face the Nation, here's senior presidential
advisor David Axelrod on
the tea party movement: "I think any time that you have severe
economic conditions, there is always an element of disaffection
that can mutate into something that's unhealthy." A roundup of
reactions to Axelrod here. A
leftist offers a semi-endorsement of the tea parties