- The U.S. bombing in Afghanistan Thursday was supposed to hit an area containing 600 to 800 active ISIS fighters. Defense officials said the actual number of ISIS members killed was 36; no civilians were harmed.
- Because "extensive questions surround … President Trump's first 'Muslim ban'" and "the government has refused to hand over information that would allow the public to evaluate how the ban was implemented," the American Civil Liberties Union "has filed dozens of lawsuits around the country to demand detail," the group announced Thursday.
- New vending machines in Las Vegas will dispense clean syringes. Customers will have to register with non-identifying details and be limited to two new needles per week.
- The Trump administration overturned an Obama-era rule that prevents states from withholding Title X family-planning funds from Planned Parenthood for ideological reasons.
- Canada is plotting the path to nationwide legalization of recreational marijuana sales.