Attorney General Jeff Session is formally acting against sanctuary cities, telling them they'll lose their Department of Justice grants if they don't cooperate with immigration laws.
- So it turns out Rep. Devin Nunes (R-California) was on White House grounds the day before his surprise announcement last week that he had seen intelligence showing that private data from aides to President Donald Trump had been incidentally collected. He said he was not actually in the White House, though, but a place to view the classified information securely.
- A Senate committee will be questioning Trump son-in-law Jared Kushner about meetings with a Russian-owned development bank.
- Republicans may have to use the "nuclear option" to get past a Democratic filibuster and confirm Judge Neil Gorsuch to the Supreme Court.
- A U.S. attorney's office in Kansas is under investigation after it was found in possession of phone and video recordings of communications between defense attorneys and their clients. Elsewhere, a prosecutor in Brooklyn has been charged with forging judges' signatures in order to set up illegal wiretaps.
- German Chancellor Angela Merkel's party appears to have staved off challengers from the center-left in state elections. Merkel herself faces re-election in September.
- German officials say that story about Trump giving Merkel an invoice demanding billions for NATO protection is not true.
- More than 100 bodies—possibly all civilians—have been pulled from the wreckage of a U.S.-led coalition strike in Mosul, Iraq.
Kamala Harris Does Not Understand Why the Constitution Should Get in the Way of Her Gun Control Agenda
The presidential contender conspicuously fails to explain the legal basis for her plan to impose new restrictions by executive fiat.
This is bending the Lanham Act until it nearly breaks
The black market still dominates. And more enforcement and fines aren’t going to fix it.
The "assault weapons" that the presidential contender wants to confiscate are not especially deadly, but the symbolism of that policy is poisonous.