Attorney General Jeff Session is formally acting against sanctuary cities, telling them they'll lose their Department of Justice grants if they don't cooperate with immigration laws.
- So it turns out Rep. Devin Nunes (R-California) was on White House grounds the day before his surprise announcement last week that he had seen intelligence showing that private data from aides to President Donald Trump had been incidentally collected. He said he was not actually in the White House, though, but a place to view the classified information securely.
- A Senate committee will be questioning Trump son-in-law Jared Kushner about meetings with a Russian-owned development bank.
- Republicans may have to use the "nuclear option" to get past a Democratic filibuster and confirm Judge Neil Gorsuch to the Supreme Court.
- A U.S. attorney's office in Kansas is under investigation after it was found in possession of phone and video recordings of communications between defense attorneys and their clients. Elsewhere, a prosecutor in Brooklyn has been charged with forging judges' signatures in order to set up illegal wiretaps.
- German Chancellor Angela Merkel's party appears to have staved off challengers from the center-left in state elections. Merkel herself faces re-election in September.
- German officials say that story about Trump giving Merkel an invoice demanding billions for NATO protection is not true.
- More than 100 bodies—possibly all civilians—have been pulled from the wreckage of a U.S.-led coalition strike in Mosul, Iraq.
The Washington Post Tried To Memory-Hole Kamala Harris' Bad Joke About Inmates Begging for Food and Water
At a time when legacy publications are increasingly seen as playing for one political "team" or the other, this type of editorial decision will not do anything to fix that perception.
California Preservationists Sue To Overturn Law That Requires Property Owners Consent To Having Their Homes Landmarked
The lawsuit from three Orange County preservation groups argues that supposedly historic buildings should be afforded the same environmental protections as "air, water, and forests."
"She was charged with violating the Reopening Ontario Act."
The new president availed himself of Seila Law v. Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.