Donald Trump was named Time magazine's Person of the Year.
- Both houses of the Ohio legislature have approved a measure that would ban abortion after a fetal heartbeat can be detected, which occurs about three weeks post conception.
- Angela Merkel endorsed a prohibition on full-faced veils in Germany "wherever it is legally possible."
- "Even a cursory investigation or application of common sense would have shown my tweet to be a joke," writes Nick Baumann, a Huffington Post journalist being investigated by the FBI over a joke tweet.
- A new Bloomberg Politics poll finds 69 percent of Americans are fine with Trump's stated plan to turn his businesses over to his children while he serves as president.
- Scientists at the University of Vienna say that the frequency of Cesarean-section births is having an impact on human evolution by letting more women with narrow pelvises live.
- Julian Assange published statements he gave to Ecuadoran prosecutors regarding rape allegations in Sweden.
- "Aside from not actually being a country," Liberland— the liberty-loving utopia project on the banks of the Danube—"is also beginning to seem not all that free," writes Morgan Childs in GQ.